Skip to main content

Valentine's Day with Dementia

Yesterday was Valentine's Day. It was a good day because I actually got some sleep the night before. My life has been in a fog lately because Rich has been "sundowning" which means that he is agitated, experiences hallucinations, and wakes up (if he is indeed even sleeping) all night long. Often he talks aloud, beats out a rhythm on me or our bed in the middle of the night (to a tune only he can hear), gestures wildly, and gets up and wanders around the house. Because of this, I often doze lightly and wake as soon as he moves. He is struggling with using the toilet, eating, brushing his teeth, taking pills, etc. I help him with all of his grooming, dressing, and showering. He thanks me for taking such good care of him and although he sometimes "fights" me when I try to help him, he is usually sweet tempered and grateful. I truly love taking care of him but I am exhausted. I am not typically a good napper anyway but now even when I desperately need a nap, I'm afraid to fall asleep lest he falls. I had a friend install a child proof lock on our front door so that he can't get out without my knowledge. He is prone to go exploring but he no longer has good balance and I can't allow him to go on walks alone. I take him for a short walk and a long golf cart ride once or twice a day so he gets outside. He likes to sit under our carport but I need to be outside with him all the time. He is my ministry and I want to care for him lovingly and patiently. Lord, help me when my strength is waning and my patience is gone. Help me to remember that you are with us everyday in the beautiful and the difficult. You are my rock, my anchor, my stronghold, my shepherd, my loving Father. Rich is dependent on me but my strength comes from you.
Psalm 91:1-4 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...