Skip to main content

My Gratitude Journey Entries

August 1 - The happiest memories I have. This is very difficult to pinpoint but the top four memories would be my marriage to Richard Stearns Robinson on June 17, 1978; the births of Rebecca Joy on February 23, 1980, Hollie Elizabeth on March 25, 1982; and lastly, Kelly Lynae on December 2, 1985. I have practiced gratefulness for many years so there are so many other memories I could name, however, one fairly recent memory comes to mind. On March 11, 2025, Rich had a doctor's appointment with Dr. Maxwell at the south clinic. Rich was more engaged in conversation and "sharper" than he had been for many days. " He had been having lots of trouble with eating on his own and he did not like it if I helped him when we were out in public. However, I decided that we both needed a "date" so I took him to his favorite restaurant, Don Jose. The food was good but we especially loved sitting on the screened in patio while enjoying the beautiful view of Lake Jackson. I ordered him a cheese quesadilla because it is easy to eat and a favorite of Rich's. We laughed, smiled, chatted (somewhat), and thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful weather and view. At the time, I remembered thinking that after many difficult days (both for Rich and me), God favored us with a perfect memory. We shared smiles, laughs, blue skies, fluffy clouds, and good food together as sweethearts.
The rest of the week was very difficult - Rich fell numerous times and no longer could communicate with me or others. He paced the house and insisted that he wanted to "go home" Finally on Friday night after a particularly difficult episode of sundowning, he fell and hit his head. I had tried my best to keep him safe but he wouldn't let me help him (I would have liked to wrap him in bubble wrap). I had been praying about the future because I was exhausted and could no longer keep my sweetheart safe. God took the decision out of my hands when I had to call 9-1-1. Rich spent five days in the hospital. Kelly was able to come and spend time with her Dad and me while Rich was in the hospital. On the day that she had leave for Orlando to fly back to Idaho, we were able to get him into Family Extended Care's memory care unit. Rich continued to have balance issues and a week after being in the memory unit, Rich had a significant fall which resulted in a head injury. He spent an additional five days at Advent Hospital. After returning to memory care, I requested that Rich be put on hospice. He stopped eating or taking in fluids on Friday (two days after leaving the hospital). The hospice nurse started him on morphine to keep him comfortable and had a hospital bed delivered on Monday. Becca flew in on Tuesday night and Hollie on Wednesday night so we were all with him on Thursday when God called him home to heaven. These words of Jesus are so precious to me: John 14:1-4 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...