Skip to main content

Long Overdue Update

It has been a minute since I've blogged and I really miss it. I have a lot on my plate and it is hard to put into words everything that has happened in the past year, so I have avoided it. I realize that I need to express my thoughts and write down how God continues to show up in our lives. We are so grateful for the truth that "He never leaves or forsakes us." In the past year my brother, Gerry, fought cancer and was ultimately called to his heavenly home with Jesus on January 30, 2024. My sister, Cheryl, went through chemo, surgery and now infusions for her ovarian cancer. She is still struggling with the effects of chemo (etc.) but is cancer free and hopefully will soon be gaining her strength back. My sister-in-law, Connie, is here in the Village where we live and the sisters have wonderful fellowship together. Rich struggles with communicating, memory, and doing simple tasks (such as dressing, grooming, eating). He is such a blessing with his sweet and grateful spirit. I am thankful that I am able to care for him and enjoy life together. Our 46th wedding anniversary is June 17th and I have taken some time to reflect on our years together. They have been wonderful, heartbreaking, stressful, full of joy, frustrating, full of love, in other words, very normal. We have weathered every storm together because of our commitment to our Lord and each other. It hasn't been easy but it has been so worthwhile. Rich continues to be my best friend but oh, how I miss talking with him about our life, my thoughts, his thoughts, theology, and just about everything. Our conversations mimic talking to a toddler or preschooler but that can be fun, too. My prayer is that I will be able to care for him at home until God takes him to his eternal home. The nights when he wakes up at 3 a.m. and insists that he needs to go find our truck (that we haven't owned for years) or help a neighbor find their dog and then wakes up again in two hours with some other concern makes me lean hard on the Lord for strength, patience, and calmness. The waking several times each night hasn't happened for awhile and I am thankful. I have started walking each morning between 7 & 8. Rich has slept while I am out walking and this addition to my daily routine has been transforming. I have time to pray, listen to music, and meditate as I take in the beauty of the community that we live in. My goal is 6400 steps per day and although that is not a huge amount of steps, the consistency of walking everyday has begun to reap rewards. I sleep better, hopefully my heart is getting healthier, and my stamina is improving. I've lost a few pounds and that is always a blessing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...