Skip to main content

Heart Attack

On March 2 Rich had an 10:00 appointment with his neurologist in Lakeland. We left the house at 7:30 so that we would have plenty of time to get gas and get to the Watson clinic on time even if we encountered heavy traffic. I didn't feel good when I got up and so I decided not to take my morning meds until after our doctor's appointment. I thought that we would go out for breakfast and then I'd take my meds. Meanwhile, I had a very severe case of heartburn. We stopped at WaWa in Sebring before we "hit the road." I bought us a coffee to share but decided that my heart burn was bothering me too much to drink coffee. Instead, I bought myself a bottle of water. By this time, I felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest and I was having trouble breathing. However, we had been waiting many months to see Rich's neurologist and I convinced myself that I would soon feel better. Mind over matter! Unfortunately, I felt worse with each mile that we traveled. Eventually, I decided that it was not safe for me to continue on and I pulled off the highway. I knew that I needed to get help so that Rich wasn't stranded on the county highway with an unconscious wife! I called my sister, Cheryl, and explained what was going on. She encouraged me to call 9-1-1 and she assured me that she would go to chapel and get Dwight and they would meet Rich and I on the highway. The EMTs did not think that my problem was heart related - they thought it was a stomach issue. So Cheryl drove me to the hospital and Dwight followed with our car (and Rich). After hours of sitting in the waiting room in the ER with occasional trips to have the nurses take blood, they decided that my heart was indeed the problem and I was given a room in the ER. The following day, I had a heart cath procedure and found out that I had experienced a heart attack. The doctor put in two stents. Although this was not an experience that I wanted to have - God used it to show His faithfulness and love for us. Friends and family members took wonderful care of Rich during the time that I was in the hospital. They also met my needs in such loving ways - prayers, gifts of food, money, and physical help. Gail and Paul drove down to Sebring from North Carolina to care for Rich and me. God's care for us was so evident even though our own daughters were so far away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...