Skip to main content

Being Thankful for Fall in Florida

It is the time for sweatshirts and jackets, pumpkin patches, and walking your dog with your feet crunching the red, orange, and gold leaves. I have always loved fall - the crisp air, the smell of fireplaces and bonfires, and sipping on a hot pumpkin spice latte. It is probably my favorite time of year, weather-wise. I wonder then, how I found myself in Florida. Now to be fair, the days are cooler. Mornings are a nippy 72 degrees and the temperature has only gone up to a high of 85 degrees of late. Trust me, that is a blessing after the hot summer. However, there is no need of bundling up on strolls around the neighborhood. I wish that I could experience a Minnesota, or Colorado, or Idaho fall right now (these are the states that we have lived in the past five decades). They are all known for stunning displays of fall leaves and the aforementioned blissful experiences. We are in Florida, quite simply because God put us here. It is the right place for this time of our life. We are surrounded by people who are available in times of need. Rich is part of 7 or 8 men who go out to breakfast every Saturday morning, while I enjoy fellowship with a group of ladies (the numbers vary each week). We enjoy having friends over to our place after church on Sunday morning for Swedish pancakes quite often. We walk or ride a golf cart to visit my sister or sister-in-law for coffee or a chat. Family and friends stop by to visit on a regular basis. It is such a wonderful community. People serve one another in love and with a caring spirit. We try to do the same thing. I am thankful for fall in Florida even without the autumnal atmosphere. Philippians 4:6 & 7 Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...