Skip to main content

Never a Dull Moment

So much has happened over the last couple of months that it is difficult to know how to chronicle the events. First of all, we are loving the beautiful weather during this time of year. We did not miss the snow, cold, wind, etc. of Idaho this winter! We did get a smattering of all of the seasons of spring when we spent two weeks in the Treasure Valley to meet our newest grandson and visit family and friends. The saying is that if you don't like the weather in Idaho, wait 15 minutes and it will change. Idaho did not disappoint!! We experienced snow, wind, rain, sleet, cold, and a few sunny and warmish days, as well. Our new grandbaby is so very wonderful and perfect. I was so priviledged to help care for him (yes, even spoil him) for the two weeks that we were in town. Our wonderful friends, Debbie and Doug Rowland, opened their cozy home to us. Although we didn't get to see Doug because he was working in Alaska during the month of April, Debbie was the perfect hostess. Having their home as our oasis was an amazing gift! Rich did amazing during our trip even though people and places were unfamiliar to him - he took everything in stride. He can act like he knows people and often fools them but when we get in the car, he asks me how all those people know his name! We spent everyday at Kelly and Justin's place helping out with Arlo. I did not need any urging to change, feed, hold, rock, or even wash clothes for Arlo. What a joy to help our daughter and son-in-law and get in enough cuddle time to last for awhile. We enjoyed time with all of our girls and their families even though it went by too quickly. We were able to worship with our Idaho church family for two Sundays and it was so wonderful to see how the church is growing (but they still missed us)! We did get to see some friends but not as many as I wanted! Our focus was spending time with our little grandson and helping out Kelly and Justin. In February Rich experienced a TIA (mini stroke) which affected his speech, his eyesight, and his balance. Each time that he has a big set back - he struggles to gain back the skills he previously enjoyed. He has been having more and more difficulty with his speech and ability to communicate his thoughts and needs. Sometimes, he is unable to put words together in a cohesive way. Sometimes, he struggles to make sense of the information imparted to him or even respond to conversations. It is so scary for both of us when this happens because it shows us the future of his disease when he can no longer talk to me. Yesterday, when he was having a extremely difficult time communicating with me, I was encouraged to see his familiar impish smile and chuckle while he was struggling to talk. I could hear him (in my mind) saying "Boom, chucka, lucka" the way only he can say it. Although it was stressful for both of us, praying together helped calm our hearts and minds. I am thankful that God never will leave us to deal with this disease alone. Psalm 46:1 "God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in time of trouble." Psalm 62:8 "Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...