Skip to main content

A New Year, A New State

Today I sat with Rich when a new nurse came out to the house to evaluate Rich's health progress. Physically he is doing well. He still uses a cane when he goes out walking because he is still a little unsteady on his feet. However, his stamina seems to be back to normal. He struggles in other areas. He doesn't remember the day of the week (even after I've told him several times), he doesn't know the city or state where we now reside, he can't remember his age (he told one gentleman in our neighborhood that he was 80), and he goes out numerous times during the day to get the mail (even after he has already brought it inside). On Saturday Rich asked me if Becca went to bed already. I explained that she was probably still awake because it was only 7 p.m. in Idaho where she lives. He thought for awhile and then asked "Who is the girl that is living with us, then?" I answered that just the two of us lived in our house. Rich is often confused but usually quite content. I think that is the essence of Rich's life - he is content with our life together. I am so grateful for his sweet attitude. I am learning to be thankful even with the frustrations that come with dementia. Rich likes to reorganize things! This is actually an understatement because he likes it ALOT! He organizes the carport, the furniture, the kitchen, closets, whatever he can find to reorganize. This presents a challenge because I am always looking for things that Rich has moved (and of course, he doesn't remember where they are when I ask him). On Friday, I took a nap - I hadn't slept well and I wasn't feeling too great. While I was sleeping, Rich pulled many of the items out of my office/craft room and moved a shelving unit. I awoke groggy and maybe a bit grumpy and looked in dismay at the havoc that he had wrought! I will admit that I didn't handle it too well. However, when I picked up several photo scrapbooks that were stacked on a folding table, I noticed that they were very soggy. We had a sewer backup a week prior and not only had water flooded our bedroom corner but it had flooded the corner of my office, as well. If Rich hadn't started his reorganization project, I would not have known that water had entered the office. I had to throw away a scrapbook from my Mom's 90th birthday celebration that her children and grandchildren had put together for her. Thankfully, my sister, Cheryl, has copies of all of the scrapbook pages. My wedding photo albums were also damaged. The photos were wet but were mostly salvageable but the albumns were already starting to mildew. Yuck! What a mess! After I cleaned up the damage, I put my office back to the way that it had been laid out. I also ended up going through much of my craft stash and I reorganized it (and got rid of some things, too). It was actually a blessing! I need to follow Rich's example - even when things are confusing and disappointing - be content! Yesterday was Sunday (January 30) and I was not feeling great (still struggling with sinus and tooth issues). I decided that I should stay home from church and rest. Rich decided that he could go to church by himself. We only live a block away from our church and so we always walk to the services. Rich went to Sunday School, stayed for church and then went back for the evening service all by himself! He feels so at home with the people here and the routine of the services that he didn't want to miss out! Wow, that was a huge milestone! We had an appointment with Rich's new neurologist today and it was disheartening. This doctor does not have any bedside manner and acted like we were an imposition to his busy, important practice! It made us very nostalgic for Rich's neurologist in Idaho. Dr. Lawrence Green was absolutely the best doctor that we could have had for the past four years. He helped us navigate the murky waters of dementia and I am so grateful. We are going to ask for a different referral (even though we will have to drive an hour to an hour and a half to Orlando or Tampa) so hopefully, Rich will get compassionate care in Florida, too! The good news is that the neurologist put Rich back on an anti-seizure medication and renewed his dementia medications so we don't have to worry about his meds running out. One of my favorite Bible verses is Isaiah 26:3 - "You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you." I do know that God will continue to guide and direct us each and every day!

Comments

Unknown said…
You have a gift for sharing which often helps me better my situation as well. I too need to allow myself to feel more contentment in the confusion. Thank you❤️

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...