Skip to main content

Getting Settled

Honestly, I thought that we might have a little bit of a tough time moving across the country. Everything is different - topography, weather, shopping, people....but God has been so gracious to us. We have made the transition to living in Florida and are learning our way around Sebring and the neighboring vicinity. We LOVE our new home, our new neighbors, and being close to my siblings. We've had company for dinner and gone out to eat several times with family and friends. We enjoy frequently getting together with my sister and sister-in-law for morning coffee. Our neighbor, Art, hangs out with Rich so I can take part in some activities here at the Village. We've had such fun with he and his dear wife, Gina, - listening to music, playing games, and even sharing meals. We go for numerous walks daily around the beautiful campus of Maranatha Village. I've been able to take part in the water aerobics class at the pool. We feel like we are on a constant vacation! Rich comments several times each day how much he loves it here. The transition has been almost seamless! I appreciate the technology that allows me to not only talk to my girls but FaceTime with them, so I don't feel so far away from them. I know that they are anxious to visit us and we are looking forward to the time that we can show them our new home. Our new grandbaby will be making an appearance at the end of March and we will return to the Boise area for that exciting and longed-for time. We are grateful for God's goodness and grace to us!

Comments

Debbie R said…
So fun to talk and catch up last night! I am over the moon happy for you both. So deserved! Many blessings to you, miss you being here, but so thankful for your new adventure!

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...