Skip to main content

"Our Marriage" Poem


Our Marriage


You are my one true love,
         my best friend, my confidant.
You always believe in me even when I don't -
        you tell me to "breathe" and cheer me on.

You tell me "I have a gift" 
        when you look at my crafts
Although I know that my talents are not extraordinary
        somehow your belief in me spurs me on to do more.

You are a dreamer and I am a realist
         Even though it seems counterintuitive - your dreams keep me centered.
They encourage me to see the beauty all around me 
        while I look forward to what "can be."

We don't put on big shindigs to show our love for each other
        we go for walks, share coffee and conversations, go camping.
Our life hasn't been about events but about the small moments 
        that make up our shared life together.
I wouldn't change these times for riches or fame!

I smile when I think of all of your sayings
  • Think of the stories you can tell!
  • It doesn't get any better than this.
  • It beats working for a living!
  • You are the best thing that ever happened to me!
  • I'm better now, looking at you!
  • That's what friends are for!        
I loved sitting under your Sunday School teaching
        you made us think and apply the scriptures to our lives.
You always listened to others opinions and comments
        but gently brought us back to the truth of God's Word. 

You are always friendly to others
        and take a genuine interest in everyone.
Although you are limited in many of your favorite things now
        (like driving, teaching, camping, projects around the house, and reading)
You still enjoy going on rides in the car, listening to other good preachers, 
        going "camping" at Family Camp in McCall, 
making the bed and taking out the garbage, 
        and having me read to you.

I don't want to forget the man that I married
        even as some of your abilities and gifts fade.
You are the one that God gave me and our girls
         to love us and make us feel safe.
I am always and forever grateful that you are "mine."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...