Skip to main content

Summer Days are Here Again!



Becca got me a copy of the summer "Magnolia Journal" for my birthday. I read these beautiful thoughts in an arti
cle called "No Looking Back." 

excerpt:
 "Uncap your pen and feel that beat of anticipation as your hand draws close to the page.  Note if your thoughts arrange themselves in a slightly different way or your mind unravels sentences at a more purposeful pace. All of it leading to the thrill of seeing your ideas appear in front of you. From heart to mind to paper.

With the act of writing comes a bold release. What might have felt stuck or unformed - thoughts jumping around inside our minds - now are free. In letting the words out, one by one, we receive a much needed reminder. Yes, this sentence should be expressed. Yes, these ideas deserve to see the light of day. And from there, we affirm a larger truth - that what bubbles up from within us is worthy."


This process has been true for me - I didn't know if my blog would resonate with anyone else when I first started, I just knew that "thoughts were jumping around inside of my mind" and I needed to write them down. It has been a joy to have friends let me know that my blog has been an encouragement to them. Writing down my thoughts has helped me to concentrate on the blessings that God has given me instead of concentrating on the hard parts of our journey.

During this past Sunday morning sermon, Rich and I were following along with the Bible passages that our pastor, Robb, was reading. It hurt my heart to see how my husband had to struggle to find the passages in his Bible. He loved teaching God's Word and could quote many passages and quickly find a verse that came to his mind while teaching. Now he struggles to read and comprehend what he is reading. In the past he was a favorite narrator of programs, cantatas, and often was a requested "story time reader" in elementary classrooms. He read aloud in such a way that the meaning was not only understood but savored. I grieve that these gifts are gone forever. However, I celebrate that he appreciates good teaching and storytelling (even if he has a hard time following).

My birthday was last Tuesday, the same day that we went to house/pet sit for Hollie and Jill. We were caring for Winter, a sweet and lively golden retriever, Fred, a senior citizen Viszla, and Maebe, Jill's cat. They were easy and fun to care for but everything was unfamiliar to Rich. Becca and her boys brought us lunch and a wonderful gluten free cheesecake that Becca made for my birthday. I guess everything was a bit overwhelming for Rich - after the family left, he seemed confused and out of sorts. We went to a wonderful Thai restaurant for dinner but Rich was uncharacteristically grumpy. I realized anew how hard a change in schedule and location was for Rich. I needed to be patient - even on my birthday! 

The following two days at Hollie's were much easier and less stressful for both of us. I was pleasantly surprised that the trip to Washington to visit Rich's brother and his wife, Susie, went so smoothly. Rich didn't have the hard day adjusting to a new schedule, bed, and everything else. He loved spending time with Derrick and I appreciated the time to relax and do fun things with Susie! Again I have been reminded that dementia is unpredictable but I am so grateful of the scripture that reminds me that Jesus never changes. I rely on Him every moment of the day to deal with hard things and to celebrate the precious, sweet moments, too!

Hebrews 13:8  "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." NIV


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...