Skip to main content

A Little of This and That

 


Rich does and says so many cute things during the day and I want to start writing them down:

When we are driving somewhere, he frequently tells me what a good driver I am. Then he thanks me for driving us to the store, to visit our girls, or wherever we happened to go. I have to tell you, this makes my heart beat faster every time! Before he was encouraged to stop driving, he did all the driving when the two of us were in the car together. It was hard for him to give up driving but he is now so gracious about me doing all of it.

At the end of every day, Rich says, "Thank you so much for the wonderful day. You do so much to make our days happy."

Another frequent saying is: "I am the luckiest man alive having you for my wife!" or "I won the lottery when I married you!" He is absolutely the sweetest and most encouraging guy around!! I always retort that God has richly blessed us with each other!

I've mentioned that Rich burps A LOT during the day. He usually says, "Scuse me" in a high squeaky voice that makes me laugh (and keeps me from being irritated with his continual burping)!

When I asked him today if he remembered a friend of mine from my days as the librarian at Christine Donnell School of the Arts, he said "Vaguely." I said, "that means 'not really', doesn't it?" He grinned at me and retorted, "Pretty much!" He is, however, the best at acting like he remembers people when I know that he hasn't got a clue who they are.  He is such a friendly and genuinely caring person that it isn't hard for him to talk to anyone (whether he knows them or not). 

Rich was so excited on May 30 because some of our new neighbors (two or three blocks away;-) invited us to their block party celebration for Memorial Day. He was sure that they were some people that we knew from our previous church in Meridian. He wanted me to drive down and talk to them (I still can't walk around much with my bum knee). We drove down to the new homes at the end of Placerville and everyone waved at us and greeted Rich by name. I didn't recognize them and asked one sweet lady how they knew Rich. She said, "Oh, he walks by here everyday and is so friendly - everyone here knows who Rich is." They weren't from our old church, in fact, they had moved to Middleton from Oregon but they treated him like a long lost friend. He is that kind of guy! 

He is always so appreciative of our wait staff, checkers at the store, really anyone who helps us throughout the day. Today (6/24/2021) we went to the DMV to get him a new ID card to use when we fly to Seattle in July. We had such a wonderful woman help us and Rich characteristically asked to speak to her supervisor so he could give her kuddos. He ALWAYS is grateful for good service and goes out of his way to thank people. Honestly, he is a great role model for me! I want to have a joyful and thankful heart! 






Comments

sara said…
That is SO sweet! Thank you for sharing, and you will be so glad you wrote this down!
Wilda said…
Priscilla;

When you and I worked at Christine Donnell together I remember Rich coming to pick you up from school many of those days. He made it a point to get to know me and speak to me every time! He would remember our last conversation, ask about Dale’s job search ( he was also searching at the time). We also spoke about our car troubles, which both of us couples had. Rich also remembered to ask about our daughter, Brooke, and even our dogs!

I so enjoyed our conversations and both of your friendship, and I wholeheartedly agree; Rich is a thoughtful and kind soul. Just because he can’t remember some of us or our friendships does not mean they did not happen, or that I forget them! I am forever grateful and I looks forward to the day when he WILL remember and we can reminisce again, “ in the sweet by and by”.
Priscilla said…
Thank you, Wilda, for sharing those memories with me. It is wonderful to be reminded of the time when Rich was able to recall those details. He is still that caring guy even though he doesn't remember conversations anymore. I do so look forward to the day when we are both whole in mind and body and will have eternity to enjoy our time together. However, I am so thankful for his kind and loving spirit that helps make this journey so precious. Let's get together again this summer. I enjoyed our last visit so much!

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...