Skip to main content

New Challenges

 

Henry and Papa - Spring 2021



Last week we had a ladies retreat at the home of one of the ladies from church. I worked on making the name tags for weeks and I was really looking forward to this time of fellowship and spiritual renewal. The idea was that Rich would hang out with the Watson family on Friday night from 5 to 9:30 and Saturday morning from 8:30 to 1:00 p.m. or so. Well, as things can happen with busy families, the Watsons realized that they were double booked! Evidently, Becca didn't realize that my retreat was the same weekend as Henry's soccer tournament in Sun Valley! So last Wednesday, I called Hollie and Kelly to see if that could help out with Dad. They jumped right in and it was decided that I would take Rich over to Hollie's after she got home from work on Friday and Kelly would spend a couple of hours with Rich on Saturday. 

The challenge came on Friday morning of the retreat. Rich announced to me that he didn't want to go to Hollie's house that evening. He felt that he would lose things if he went with her out to dinner (his phone, his wallet, his hearing aides).  I suspected that he felt insecure that I wasn't going to be with him. Each time that we visit Kelly or Hollie Rich feels that it is his first time visiting them. It is disconcerting for him to go without me because I am his constant - someone that he knows will watch out for him. Because he was so upset with any discussion of going to Hollie's, I dropped the subject for the time being. I texted Hollie and explained the situation and asked if she could call her dad on her lunch break and reassure him that he could trust her to take care of all of his concerns. She did so and so with some reluctance, Rich allowed me to take him to Hollie's place. He ending up having a marvelous time with Hollie and Jill. 

It has been difficult for Rich to accept the fact that he needs to have someone stay with him when I am gone for any length of time. Each day I go pick up Henry and Jack after school and I'm gone for 1/2 hour. Rich sometimes stays home alone during this time. Last week he decided to make himself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich while I was gone. He spent the entire time looking for the ingredients and when we returned home, he was very upset and frustrated. It was overwhelming for him to not be able to care for himself. I explained to him that if he stayed alone for 2  or 3 hours, there was a possibility that it would be emotionally draining for him (as well as potentially dangerous). I explained that I love him too much to put him through that trauma. That seemed to make sense to him and he accepted my reasoning.

I was reminded again of how much he relies and counts on me this morning at church. I sang on the worship team this a.m. I needed to be at church at 8:30 a.m. to practice and after practice, I taught my preschool Sunday School class. Rich was "on his own" during the Sunday School hour. Although he really enjoys our pastor's teaching, I could tell that he was stressed when I rejoined him.  He expressed how uncomfortable he felt sitting alone the previous hour. We have lovely people at our church that would sit with him but he doesn't want to "feel vulnerable." He doesn't know how to tell others when he is confused or overwhelmed. He is always surprised that so many people greet him by name because he doesn't remember their names or if he has met them before.

I realized that I need to rethink being so involved in different ministries because it is too hard on Rich when he is on his own. I have always been involved in music and working with children. They are both passions of mine. However, everything has a time and place in our lives and Rich needs to be my main focus. I want to care for him with love and joy. 

Lord, help me to remember that I am serving you when I serve my husband. He is so sweet and tender to me and I want him to know that I love caring for him. Thank you for the time away last weekend when I could be refreshed and have fellowship with other ladies. Help me to find ways to take breaks every so often so that I don't burn out. Thank you for your grace to both Rich and I!
Amen  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...