Skip to main content

Togetherness and Sweet Fellowship


One thing that I've learned throughout our journey with dementia is that there is no straight trajectory or path with this disease! I blogged about Rich's difficult day last week and two days later, he was more clear minded. We enjoyed the sweetest time of prayer together on Friday night. Rich led in prayer (it was his idea) which doesn't happen too much anymore. He was articulate and gave testimony to his trust that God has a plan and direction in his life and it includes this disease
. The time together was such a balm to my soul! It is difficult to be the one who makes all the decisions and leads us spiritually, physically, emotionally, and financially every day. I felt that I was able to "take the day off" for a bit and have Rich support me. What a blessing it was - the fellowship with my beloved was so sweet.

We have continued to have an amazing week! Rich, Becca, and I had a precious time of conversation on Tuesday night. Rich was involved in the conversation - asking questions and making comments. The time together was such a gift! Last night Henry asked us if we would like to play UNO with him. He had been playing it on the computer with online friends and it reminded him of how much fun the game was to play. So, Becca, Henry, Jack, Rich, and I spent a couple of hours of hilarity playing UNO. What a great way to bond, laugh, and chase away the blues!! We laughed so hard at the boys antics that we cried! What bliss!

I am so grateful that God is with me and supports me everyday (whether Rich is clear minded or not). He sent His son, Jesus Christ, to die for me - to provide forgiveness and a way to the cross through His Son! He will not leave or forsake me and He uses our situation to bring good into our lives and hopefully encourage others in the process. Jesus is the Truth, the Life, and the Way! No one comes to the Father except through Him.

"God—His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is pure. He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him. Psalm 18:30 (HCSB)


Comments

CaroLouise said…
What a lovely gift from the Lord!

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...