Skip to main content

What Love Looks Like

I read a post on Facebook recently about how a woman came to appreciate the way her husband loved her and it resonated with me. I sometimes longed for a man who would bring me flowers (or have them delivered to me at work) for birthdays, anniversaries, or just because. . . Throughout the years, Rich did bring me flowers a few times and I loved it! He had flowers delivered to work once or twice in almost 43 years of marriage. However, giving gifts isn't really his love language. His love language is acts of service and words of affirmation. 


Every morning before I have my life giving cup of coffee that, by the way, he usually makes - Rich has made our bed. He is a master bed maker! At night when I go to the bathroom to use the facilities and brush my teeth, he turns down our bed. He spreads out another blanket on my side of the bed because he likes the bedspread down but he knows that I get cold. He even "turns down" the covers and so getting into bed makes me feel loved every night! 

Everyday he says numerous times, "Have I told you today how much I love you?"

At night, often with tears in his eyes, he will say a variation on this sentiment: "Thank you for the wonderful day! I am the luckiest man alive having you at my side."

Rich has a servant's heart - he will bring me coffee, run upstairs to find whatever I need (as long as I can tell him exactly where it is), take out the trash whenever it is full, pull apart our recliner for the umpteenth time to find my crochet hook (without complaint), and help me clean up the kitchen all day long (we do live in a household with kids)! He loves to spend time with me whether it is going for a walk, watching TV, going out to dinner, or playing a game. His heart is content if we are doing it together. 

I've decided - who needs flowers, jewelry, or exotic trips to far-away locales - my beloved loves to spend his days with me right here in Middleton, ID! I don't have to dress up with hair and make-up perfect to hear, "You are so beautiful!" Yes, he tells me everyday how beautiful I am even though I have quite a few wrinkles, extra pounds of fat, and crazy hair - and I know without a doubt, that I am beautiful in his eyes. I often ask him if he is doing ok and his answer is "I am now because I'm looking at you." 

I have learned to recognize the magic of these little moments! I'm thankful for years of dreaming together, of communicating and figuring things out during hard times, of stealing a moment together over a cup of coffee and a quick kiss, and ultimately of being present for each other. We are so blessed! 

Comments

sara said…
This is SO sweet, Aunt Cilla! What a beautiful relationship you two have, and Uncle Rich is a sweet, sweet husband!
Priscilla said…
Thank you, Sara! When I write about our life together, it helps me to focus on being grateful for the small moments of blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...