Skip to main content

Communication and Thanksgiving

I want to share what I am learning about supporting Rich as we go through our journey with dementia. Rich has been struggling with understanding what he hears - the words don't connect and make sense to him. He is also having a difficult time with finding words to express himself. If an activity or conversation has happened in the recent past, he has no memory of it. It can be frustrating and confusing for me because I am never sure what he knows. I am learning to ask him if he understands what I am telling him.  When he struggles to find the words to tell me something - I don't jump in right away and provide the words for him. I often put a reassuring hand on his leg or arm that lets him know that I'm in no hurry and he can take his time expressing his thoughts. I am also learning not to expect him to remember ANYTHING (because he doesn't). Our cat, Henrietta was sleeping in our room and it was making sleep miserable for me because I am allergic to cat dander. We had been talking about it for days. On Wednesday I washed all of our bedding and vacuumed the carpet. I relocated the cat box and her food to the bonus room outside our bedroom. When I was busy downstairs making dinner, Rich put the cat box and Henrietta's food back in our bedroom and let her back in the room to sleep on our bed! He was perplexed that I protested her presence - he didn't remember that I was allergic and needed her moved out. 

Rich didn't ask for this disease and he is navigating life in the best way that he can. I need to be loving and patient! I am giving thanks today for the privilege of putting my love for Rich into action - he is my partner and it is a joy to help him on this journey. 

Lord, help me to remember that you will never leave us or forsake us and you will help us to live with joy if we focus on your goodness to us.

Thanksgiving isn't just a day that we celebrate once a year but an attitude that we can have all year long.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Psalm 100:1-5

Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.

Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.

Know that the LORD is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.

For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...