Skip to main content

Getting Better - Finally!

I am feeling better today than I have since I got sick with COVID. That is such a huge praise! I still get tired easily but I find that I can do several tasks as long as I can rest in between. I had a set back a little over a week ago and felt that I was never going to feel better - it is amazing how our physical health is tied into our mental health! When I was discouraged, I would turn to the Psalms and Philippians - David and Paul both understood what it meant to trust God in times of trial and disappointment. 

Philippians 4:6 & 7  "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Rich has been wonderful throughout this illness. He is always asking me what he can do for me. He gets me water, coffee, blankets, and helps find my crochet hook or my glasses! He is so patient and caring! He would ask me at least five times each day if I want to go on a walk with him. Each day I would say, "No, honey, I don't feel good enough for a walk" or "The air quality is not good today - I can't be outside in it." He would be sweet about it but disappointed because he loves to go for walks with his best friend (his words:-)! Finally, on Sunday, we went for a walk around the block. It felt good to be outside. We walked around the block again yesterday, too. The weather was too nice to sit inside. I was exhausted after going around the block but I was glad to finally say, "Yes, let's go for a walk." I am so grateful to be retired so that I can take my time getting better!! 

Our church family has been such a blessing to us these last two weeks. They have brought us amazing meals that fed all six of us with left overs for lunch the next day! We are so grateful for all of the prayers, texts, emails, and phone calls that encouraged us and made us loved and cared for during the long month of August!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...