Skip to main content

Back to Normal - Whatever That Is!!


 I am very excited to announce that I am feeling good at long last! I may get tired faster than I'd like but all in all, I have energy and no more symptoms from COVID. Whew, that took longer than I ever imagined! I am so thankful that I was able to recuperate slowly at home and not have to worry about taking time off of work. It is a blessing to be retired.

Last Thursday Rich and I went to the YMCA for the first time in MANY months. Due to my bout with pneumonia and bronchitis this winter and our move to Middleton from Caldwell, I think the last time we attended class was in January. We attended the "Delay the Disease" class and although Rich did not remember the class or the people, he enjoyed it nonetheless.

One of the activities that Rich has always loved to do together is to play games. On Saturday we tried a children's game called "Guess Who" and it was overwhelming for him. It is becoming harder to find something fun that isn't too challenging. We have other games to pull out and try because it is important to him that he doesn't give up. He is such a trouper!

This weekend was a hard one! It was full of moments that Nancy Reagan called "The Long, Long Goodbye." Before President Reagan's death she gave an interview to Mike Wallace of "60 Minutes." These are some of her comments that resonated with me.

 “It really is the long, long goodbye,” (of caring for someone with Alzheimer’s disease).

 The hardest part, she said, was not being able to share decades of memories together.“When you come right down to it, you’re in it alone, and there’s nothing that anybody can do for you. So it’s lonely.”

“How I’d love to be able to talk to him about it, There were times when I had to catch myself, because I’d reach out and start to say, ‘Honey, remember when …'”

Rich's memory and cognition has really declined in the last few weeks and on Saturday I was grieving! Sometimes, the pain just pours over me and I need to pray and process for an hour or so. I waited until Becca and family came home from Henry's soccer game and then I went for a drive. Eventually, I talked to my sister and another dear friend on the phone and asked for prayer and a listening ear. My sweet friend invited me to spend Sunday afternoon with her (when Becca was spending time with Rich). What blessing that was to me!

However, I am so grateful that I have a friend that is even closer than these dear ones - Jesus is always with me and that is truly a comfort! He cares that Rich and I are going through this hard season and He loves us with an everlasting love! 

We were both able to go to church on Sunday and it was such a blessing! The message was about dealing with discouragement and depression. It was just what I needed - both of us were encouraged. Rich knows that he is not remembering and understanding things and it bothers him. Today I decided to let him know that we were in this together! I locked my car keys in the trunk after we went grocery shopping (ok, it wasn't on purpose 😄) . My phone was in the trunk of the car along with our groceries and the car keys!! Fortunately, Rich brought his phone along (not a given these days) and we called Becca at the police department. She reached out to the officers at CPD and an officer drove over to Walmart and opened up our car for us. We are so thankful for connections:-) Now that we live 25 minutes away in Middleton, it is a bit more harrowing to be stranded in Caldwell! 

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may  overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...