Skip to main content

Vacation and COVID-19



It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed by the game. 

I know that Rich enjoyed the fellowship with old friends and new ones (even though he doesn't remember it now). I found myself a bit exhausted trying to watch out for Rich - he would get turned around and confused easily so I was always on alert. However, the change of pace and the sweet times with friends and my husband was worth the effort.
 
Although the week at camp might have been a bit overwhelming for Rich, this week has proved more of a challenge. On Tuesday evening Becca and I took Henry to his soccer practice at Sawtooth Middle School in Meridian. As soon as we got home, I went to bed with body aches and chills and a raging headache. The next morning I had a fever of 101.2 and a cough. Becca took off work early and we went to Primary Health for a COVID-19 test. The health professional came out to our car and took his samples. We received a call from Primary Health the following day and received the news that my test was positive.

It is now Saturday and in many ways, it seems like an eternity since I got sick. I am quarantined in our bedroom - trying to keep the rest of the family from getting the virus. Thankfully, I am feeling better today so I've been able to do something other than sleep. Rich has been rather lost without me. Becca noticed how hard it was for him and she is stepping in as my replacement as much as possible. Last night Becca and Rich played Sequence and he won both games!! I am so grateful for her spending time with him! Rich comes up to my room but with both of us wearing masks and keeping six feet between us - our interactions are limited. Neither of us has good hearing so it is a bit hilarious to try to communicate with masks! 

I read these verses this afternoon and they encouraged my heart!

Psalm 86:1-4

A prayer of David.


Hear me, Lord, and answer me,

    for I am poor and needy.

Guard my life, for I am faithful to you;

    save your servant who trusts in you.
You are my God;  have mercy on me, Lord,
    for I call to you all day long.
Bring joy to your servant, Lord,
    for I put my trust in you.

Comments

Diane Grady said…
Priscilla, I am praying for all of you. The struggles with change of routine that you described at the beginning of your post are also common to those with autism spectrum disorder as well as those with TBIs. Many of the litany of neurological disorders and diseases have commonalities. I am aware that much of the dealings with these disorders/diseases takes a great toll on the families and the care givers. As Christians, we are called to bear one another's burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ. How can I do this for you? In keeping with our Sunday School class theme, I am trying to become a better "one another Christian". I miss you guys!
Unknown said…
Praying for a quick and speedy recovery and that no one else gets it!!!❤
shermey said…
Very encouraging. God keep and bless you and make His face to shine upon you, for your faithfulness and courage to keep on despite your circumstances.
Jill Holmes said…
Oh, I’m so sorry to hear of your testing positive. You are so blessed to have family to share in the care of Rich, and yourself right now. I sure wish we lived closer... I would love to be able to help you. Thanks agin for your blogging. ��

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...