Skip to main content

Summer Time

It is July 20 and the temperature is slated to get up to 95 degrees. It has been very hot over the past week but we have been enjoying summer to the fullest. Most days Rich and I sit outside on the front porch and have our morning coffee and our Bible reading. Now that our patio has been enlarged in the backyard, we’ve been sitting out there in the evenings. Our front yard gets the shade in the mornings (actually until about 2 p.m.) and our backyard gets the afternoon and evening shade. It is really the perfect scenario.

Rich has been doing great! He is happy and upbeat most of the time. He gets confused and a bit disoriented in the evenings especially but even then he has been so sweet. The other night he asked me when his memory condition started. It was a hard question to answer because I’m not exactly sure. I knew that he had a problem the summer of 2017 and that we needed help moving forward. However, in actuality I had been wondering what was going on for a couple of years prior to that summer. Rich had seemed depressed and withdrawn and often irritable or angry. Since that wasn’t normal behavior for him, I was naturally concerned.

The summer of 2017, things came to a head and I knew that I needed help to persuade Rich to go to the doctor for a diagnosis. I am forever grateful for my girls and our son-in-laws, Justin and Brent. Kelly and Justin came over one night in July and helped me stage an intervention with Rich. Justin could not have been more helpful and kind. He told Rich that he and Kelly would be there for us every step of the way (and they have been). Kelly made the doctor’s appointment and Kelly and Becca went with to the first appointment with Dr. Balance. When it was apparent that Rich should no longer drive, Justin went with us to St. Luke’s Elks Rehab Hospital and was with Rich during his testing with Kim, the occupational therapist. Justin gave both of us support and I am so grateful. Although Hollie was living in Mountain Home then, she met with her sisters and me and helped to strategize and offered much support during this time.

It has been a long road but knowing what we were dealing with has made the journey easier. Becca and Brent stepped up and suggested us moving in with them and we have been together for two years on June 15. What a blessing it is to us! 

I was initially very concerned when Becca and Brent decided to sell our house in Caldwell. I thought that the change would prove very difficult for Rich but the move has been actually a blessing to all of us. Rich is so social that our old neighborhood was lonely for him and it was hard on Henry (13) and Jack (11), too. They love having friends across the street that they can ride bikes with and hang out with in their swimming pool! Rich waves to everyone as they pass by in the vehicles and visits with all of our neighbors. They love him!!

Yesterday we had a scare when Rich misplaced his glasses. Rich and I searched for over an hour in the backyard, in the house, and in the garage for his glasses. Rich eventually found them on the floor near his tools in the garage. The day before he accidentally threw his glasses in the trash and it took some searching to find them! I have decided that we need to go and get an eye exam and order a back-up pair of glasses! Rich misplaces his phone on a regular basis, too. I wish that everything was as easy to find as his phone (although sometimes he forgets to charge it and it doesn’t “ring” when I call it)! I suspect that losing things is going to continue to increase as dementia steals his mind.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...