Skip to main content

Update on our Journey!

I am excited to start blogging regularly. I want to write about what God is teaching us on our faith journey. Most of you know that my wonderful husband of nearly 42 years, was diagnosed three years ago with Fronto-temporal dementia. This disease has affected almost every part of his life. He no longer can drive or even help me with directions to places that he used to know quite well. He is always saying, "I'm sure glad that you know where you are going." This could be on the way to church or to the house on Addison where we lived for six years. Tasks are difficult because he can't remember what he is doing half way through a project. He can't follow more than one direction at a time and even that can be overwhelming. Reading is slow and he often doesn't comprehend what he is reading. It is heartbreaking to see my bright, articulate husband deteriorate little by little. When I become overwhelmed with sorrow, I remember that God planned for our marriage to go through this struggle. It isn't a surprise to God and more than that - He has a perfect plan for our story. If our love story can be an encouragement to others, it will be worth it all.

For the most part, Rich is cheery and keeps himself busy organizing things around the house that we share with the Watson family. We are so grateful that they have included us in their everyday lives! Sometimes, it is hard for our son-in-law, Brent, because Rich likes to rearrange the garage in a manner that makes sense to him but not to Brent:-)

We moved to a brand new home in Middleton about 20 minutes from our previous home in Caldwell. We love the neighborhood and our neighbors! I especially like that it is a safe place for Rich to walk or ride his bike. Our old house was on a dead end street and in order to ride his bike, he had to cross a very busy street (or ride on it). He loves the sidewalks and paths that surround our new home. He also loves to sit on our beautiful front porch and watch the activity that unfolds around us. It is his favorite spot to sit, drink coffee or soda and drink in the sun.

I recently reread a book called "a Promise Kept" by Robertson McQwilkin. It is the true account of a godly man who cares for his wife with Alzheimer's Dementia. He was the president of a Christian college in the Eastern United States when she was diagnosed and eventually he resigns to care for her full time. It is a sweet book and it has been an encouragement to me. I pray that God will continue to bless our marriage and the vows that we made to each other. God gave Robertson the grace and patience to lovingly care for his wife for 20 years after her diagnosis. With God's help, I want to joyfully care for Rich with love that continues to grow! I do not know what our story will be but I know that God is writing it and it will be beautiful! Praise His name!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Engagement Story

December 21 was my sister, Gail, and brother-in-law, Paul's, 55th anniversary! What a a wonderful milestone and an example of commitment to each other. Thinking of their day so long ago (I was a 12 year old bridesmaid at their beautiful Christmas wedding), reminded me of my engagement story. I decided to post our story on the blog about our continued journey together. At the time of our engagement both Rich and I taught school in Denver at Silver State Christian School. Although Rich taught junior high and I taught 1st grade, we came together for staff meetings each week. We both worked with the junior high youth group at church and got to know each other through ski trips and other youth activities. We started to date in 1975 right after my Christmas vacation trip back home to Minnesota - but that is another story! Rich and I became engaged 43 years ago on Christmas Eve. We were in Minnesota for Christmas with my family (the first time everyone would meet my boyfriend) in 1977 and...

Vacation and COVID-19

It is a little difficult to write about our time in McCall objectively because I tend to have rose colored glasses about vacations in general and McCall in particular. However, the week of Family Camp was a bit challenging for Rich because he was away from his regular routines at home. He was surrounded by people each day and although they were a bit familiar, he couldn't remember their names or how he knew them. Our assistant pastor, Bobby Truax, was at our breakfast table one morning and Rich whispered to me, "What is his name?" Bobby overheard the question and without skipping a beat said, "Hi Rich! My name is Bobby." Over and over throughout the week, the men at camp spent time talking to Rich (and often answering the same questions numerous times) and making him feel a part of conversations. I am so appreciative! We played games with several different groups and every person was patient with Rich when he didn't understand the rules or felt overwhelmed b...

Laughter and Pets

I told Rich today that I was blogging about our journey with dementia. I felt that it was only fair that I let him know that I was making this public. He was characteristically upbeat and sweet. He said that he thought it was wonderful that I was putting down my thoughts and chronicling the road that we are walking together. He said that he wanted to use his journey to bring glory to God and point others to the Prince of Peace!  In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess that I lost my glasses this morning. It is humbling to realize that I needed Rich's help to find them (and he did find them)! Perhaps we both need a pair of back-up glasses! 😆 We have learned to laugh at many things that are part of our lives now. Rich's meds evidently give him lots of air bubbles and he belches long and loud (and dare I say - proud)!! I have to admit that the many noises that he emits is a bit irritating at times but usually we bust up and LAUGH! What can you do?  Rich's favorite sh...